Saturday, July 20, 2013

What is below the line?

Below the Line is my families challenge to live on the food stamps budget of a family of three, altho when new LO arrives in september we will increase to the family of four budget. This is a project to help keep our family spending under control and see how people who fit in under the line of poverty really make their food stamps work. The rules are such
 1. I am only allowed to spend the month amount of food stamps at the store, no extras ( most people who receive food stamps use it as their only source of money for food despite it being "supplemental" )
 2. Eating out is only allowed if someone else pays for it, like my parents inviting us to dinner etc.
 3. I am allowed to accept gifts of meat and food from others
 4. I am allowed to use my garden to supplement our food ( food stamp can be used to buy seeds and vegetable plants )
 5. Jelly and I must eat 3 meals a day and Justin must eat at least 2 ( he works and his boss normally buys lunch anyways) 
6. We must try to eat "Healthy" 
7. I am allowed to use what we have currently in out pantry as a starting point.
8. I will post the weekly shopping trip including the total 
9. Our amount of food stamps will be determined by the food stamp calculator based on a lower income family that we know.

I expect our family is going to be eating a lot of chicken and cheap things. I love to cook, and make things that taste good and fill you up. I sincerely hope that we will not resort to eating a ton of processed foods. I want this year to show us that we can live on the frugal side of things. I also want to show what really happens to the lower income family when this is all that they have. So here is to a year of our family living Below the Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment